Wednesday 9 December 2015

Magazine Advert

The purpose of the magazine advert is to engage with the audience and sell the artists album to his/her desired demographic. It helps to promote the artists album and music video gives the audience information on the content of the album and also gives them an idea of the general theme from the image that used. The software we have chosen to use is Photoshop cs6 as it is sufficient for the tasks in which we require it to do, for example add various effects to our chosen images and other editing techniques. The idea for my magazine advert derived from various research and planning that I had previously, my main aim was to take an image that was very conventional and gave the audience a sensation of the dance genre which I feel I have achieved.



 The colours that were used within my magazine advert are very conventional to the genre, for example the large use of neon green lighting. The neon green lighting is used largely throughout my magazine and becomes one of the main features as it illuminates from the crowd as well as the large laser beams from the elaborate lighting above the crowd. The use of the white typography is to make it stand out further to the audience against the dark background, the information provided is very important to the audience as it provides them with release date, name of the album and other features. The colour of the text was clearly quite an important choice when editing my magazine advert. The neon green lighting would appeal to my audience as it is a colour that they are most likely able to relate to when they go to the familiar setting that they seen on my magazine advert.

The overall magazine would be considered extremely conventional in my opinion as the initial thought of any viewer will be that this advert is related to the dance genre which is clear from the image which shows bright neon green laser emitting from the top and on to the crowd people within the club, the crowd have also seen to be emanating a green glow which correlates to the over green theme of the advert. The club or party setting is a very convention of the dance genre which adds to the conventionality of this advert, this style of music is usually played within these environments which creates the association between them.The style of lighting used within this advert is also very clearly conventional as the neon green lasers are typical of dance genre music videos and settings such as clubs which again creates an immediate relationship between the audience and magazine advert and most likely will create a deeper interest into the contents of the magazine advert. A large crowd enjoying music and partying together in the same place is considered to be quite conventional of the dance genre as this is a common visual within clubs and parties where dance music is widely linked with.

The images used consist of a club setting that shows the lighting and overall environment and another picture to show the audience that was taken at another time. My reason for using the image of the club setting is that is purely conventional of the dance genre so when the audience see's the magazine advert they are able to quickly associate it with a dance genre album. In my research we had concluded that the chosen audience preferred more conventional aspects of the dance genre which further supported my choice of using an image of a club. The reason for using the added image of another crowd was to eliminate the possibility of seeing any of the audiences faces as well as fitting better with the image of the club, it allowed for greater opportunities to edit such as creating an neon green glow emitting from the audience to mirror the neon green laser that is above the crowd.

The layout and design of the magazine advert is relatively simple as the majority of the advert consists of a single image however there was a large amount of thought was involved in the layout of the text and the placement of images. I decided to place the text at the top of the magazine so it was clear to the audience what was the title of the album as well as the name of the artist which are two very important pieces of information on a magazine advert.I have also placed other popular singles which are on the album to familiarise the audience with other songs that they may have heard of which creates a greater initial relationship between both the audience and the artist. The release date has been placed at the bottom, not to show its lower relevance but to allow the audience to be captured more by the images for the magazine advert. In order to make the release date still noticeable and substantial I increased the size of the font in comparison to other pieces of information which subliminally tells the audience that this piece of information is important. The design of the magazine advert is a club that shows the crowd enjoying themselves under an elaborate style of lighting which links to the typical conventions of the dance genre.


The typography used consists of a more basic style of white font. My reasons for using a basic style of font is so the font does not take any attention away from the image which should be the main focus of the image. The typography is only used to state certain information that is important hence its colour which stands out in comparison to the darker background, I have also used different sized fonts so the audience or reader is able to distinguish which is the more important information.

In regards to Photoshop, I did have a few weaknesses in regards to the font , general implementation of the images and editing techniques. To overcome my weaknesses I used a mixture of trial and error, online help and using some of my peers who were more proficient with Photoshop. Within Photoshop I did not start with many strengths however as I used the software more I started to quickly grasp the various editing techniques that are apart of the program. The inspirations that I have taken from my research consist of various magazine adverts from Example and Avicii, the reason I chose to use these was due to their conventionality to the dance genre which worked so well in relation to their audience so I hoped to mirror something similar when creating my magazine advert. I did not necessarily follow my exact original plan as I had chosen to include a picture of the artist and the Gherkin building however upon taking the images I felt that this made my magazine more subversive as appose to conventional which led to me changing my proposed idea.

As previously mentioned I think my magazine advert adheres completely to the conventions of the dance genre as it is set in a setting that is widely associated with the dance genre and also includes many other conventions such as the use of bright and extravagant lighting which can be found many dance genre associated settings. My advert most definitelty appeals to my target audience as it is simply very relatable, the large majority of my chosen demographic have been to similar settings which allows them to relive those moments when viewing my magazine advert and the small proportion that I have not been to similar settings have seen comparable settings in other dance music videos. In my opinion the use of a magazine advert will help to promote my artist album and music video as the images I have chosen  to use in my advert will leave the audience wanting see more.  


1 comment:

  1. You have provided a sound analysis of your individual advert, explaining clearly why you have incorporated all of your elements; however, you need to elaborate on some of your points made in more detail.

    You need to:
    1) Make sure you state specifically what tools you struggled to use and why, and what tools you ended up using and why (what were they used to create etc.)
    2) Fully explain why this advert will appeal to your TA and explain why you chose not to include an image of your artist
    3) Elaborate on ideas and inspirations taken from your research and how you used your planning to inform your production.

    ReplyDelete